Tuesday, August 6 | The Westin San Francisco Market Street
PR News' Next Practices PR Conference, August 6, 2013, at the Westin San Francisco Market Street, will give you the digital communications edge within your organization and new skills you'll need to remain a communications leader in the years to come.
You'll get real-world case studies and how-to's on finding influencers and connecting with journalists and bloggers on social channels; telling your brand's story visually on Pinterest, Instagram and Vine; using Twitter to manage a crisis; tapping into the power of content marketing; uncovering Facebook's "secrets" of audience engagement; breaking down silos to create a truly integrated communications team; measuring the effectiveness of your programs; and more.
We look forward to seeing you in San Francisco on August 6 at PR News' Next Practices PR Conference—and we hope you'll also join us on August 5 at PR News' Writing Boot Camp, which will also be held at the Westin San Francisco Market Street.
- Tim Baker, VP, Digital Strategy, MWW
- Robert Brunner, Founder/Partner, Ammunition
- Amelia Burke-Garcia, Senior Director of Digital Media, Westat
- Jess Clifton, Senior Vice President, Los Angeles Group Digital Director, Edelman Digital
- Diane Gage Lofgren, APR, Fellow PRSA Senior Vice President and Chief Communication Officer, Brand Communication, Kaiser Permanente
- Mitch Germann, Senior Vice President, Fleishman-Hillard San Francisco
- Jessica Henry, Director of Marketing and Public Relations, Not For Sale
- Julie Inouye, Head of Product PR, LinkedIn
- Kriselle Laran, Senior Account Supervisor, Digital, Zeno Group
- Dallas Lawrence, Vice President, Corporate Affairs, Mattel, Inc.
- Amanda Mahan, Creative Director, Digital, The Clorox Company
- Morgan McLintic, Executive Vice President, LEWIS PR
- Sandy Malloy, Senior Information Specialist, Business Wire
- Darrel Ng, Public Relations Director, Anthem Blue Cross
- Matt Rozen, Group Manager, Corporate Social Media, Adobe
- Aaron Sherinian, Vice President of Communications and Public Relations, United Nations Foundation
- Greg Swan, SVP of Digital & Interactive, Weber Shandwick
- Jon Swartz, Reporter and Tech Team Leader, USA Today
- David Tinson, Vice President, Integrated Communications, Electronic Arts
- Dan Wire, Social Communications Team Lead, VMware
What We'll Cover:
8:30 - 9:00 a.m. - 8 Essential Skills Communicators Will Need to Thrive in 2014 and Beyond
Begin the Next Practices PR Conference with insight from PR leaders who'll share the most important skills and subjects for communicators to tackle and master. These skills are what the C-suite, customers and clients need most from you, and could spell the difference between being a reliable player on your communications team and being marked for a leadership role.
- What PR agency heads and in-house communications leaders need most from their teams
- What the convergence of PR, marketing and advertising means for PR professionals
- What will be expected of the interdisciplinary communications professional
- How the growth of big data is turning some PR pros into data analysts
- What's coming next in customer/client service
- How financial acumen is a must for PR pros to tie their efforts to the bottom line
9:00 - 9:45 a.m. - Media Relations Next Practices
Media relations specialists will work in tandem with a leading journalist and offer you not just the best practices, but the next practices in working with media brands to get your organization the coverage it deserves. You'll hear new ways to use Twitter, Tumblr, Google+ and LinkedIn to identify influencers, build strong relationships with journalists and bloggers and serve their content needs, manage difficult questions in interviews and more.
You'll learn how to:
- Use subject lines that compel journalists to open your emails
- Leverage new ways to use LinkedIn, Tumblr and Twitter to identify and engage influencers in your market
- Build relationships with journalists by commenting on and sharing their content
- Handle difficult questions in interviews, particularly during a crisis
- Measure the value of media placement online and offline
- Cut through the increasing volume of social noise in your communications with journalists
- Build long-term relationships in a short-term environment
- Make adjustments for the era of generalist reporters in shrinking newsrooms
9:45 - 10:30 a.m. - Secrets to Facebook Communications
Our speakers will provide an overview of Facebook's latest features and updates, followed by an in-depth discussion on how VMware uses Facebook successfully to build its audience, communicate core messages and impact PR objectives. You'll learn how to maximize engagement on branded Facebook content, and how Facebook's EdgeRank algorithm and newly released GraphSearch will impact the ranking of branded content in news feeds. Finally, our speakers will cover how to use Facebook's latest paid products and more.
You'll learn how to:
- Create content that generates maximum engagement and appears in your target audience's news feed at high-impact times
- Consider the impact of EdgeRank and GraphSearch when creating content for Facebook
- Use Facebook Insights and other measurement tools to determine the reach, virality and overall impact of your posts
- Leverage Facebook's paid products (advertising)
- Use Facebook's latest features and how to incorporate them into your brand's content strategy
- Use Facebook page apps/tabs to create new ways to interact with and engage your audience
- Apply best practices to Facebook's brand Timeline
10:30 - 10:45 a.m. - Networking Break
10:45 - 11:30 a.m. - Tell Brand Stories With Video, Pinterest & Instagram
Your online audiences want and expect great visual content, and this session will offer case studies in how to make the leap to visual storytelling with video, Twitter's Vine app, Pinterest and Instagram. Learn how to mine your existing visual content and create new content (affordably); determine how to use those images to tell a brand's story across social channels; apply storytelling principles to the use of still images; get started using Facebook's new video on Instagram service; and launch visual stories that motivate audiences to participate and share their own images.
You'll learn how to:
- Spot opportunities within your organization for visual storytelling
- Create effective and affordable videos
- Craft creative and shareworthy Vine videos
- Be inspirational on Pinterest and drive pinners back to your brand pages
- Use storytelling concepts in the creation of your boards on Pinterest
- Leverage Facebook's new Instagram video service
- Showcase your brand's history and story on Instagram
- Create short, specific campaigns on Instagram
11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. - Tap Into the Power of Content Marketing
Content marketing has transformed traditional notions of PR, as content-hungry audiences are less interested in the source of content as they are in the quality and utility of the content. This session will show PR pros how to use the power of story, all their content assets, collaborate across department lines and expand the notion of "PR" to encompass (meaningful) content creation and distribution.
You'll learn how to:
- Think like a publisher and media producer
- Apply storytelling concepts and high editorial standards to the creation of text and visual content
- Socialize your content to extend its reach with Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Tumblr
- Create credible content that will be found by search engines
- Attract and retain customers with your brand's unique content
- Use measurement tactics to determine what's working and what's not working in your content strategy
12:15 - 12:30 p.m. - Networking Break
12:30 - 1:15 p.m. - Luncheon & Keynote – Beats by Dr. Dre designer Robert Brunner: Finding the Powerful Stories That Communicate Your Brand's Essence
As a communicator, you may think your efforts are creating positive emotional connections with your brand, but have you stopped to check your own gut feelings about your brand and ask yourself what exactly makes people love a brand in the first place? In his keynote address, world-renowned industrial designer Robert Brunner—who helped launch the Beats by Dr. Dre brand of headphones, created the Beats Studio line and was previously the director of industrial design at Apple—will talk about how communicators need to make their own emotional connections with their brands and share that gut feeling with their target audience. And he'll challenge you to go a step further—to take what you've learned from your communications with your audience and bring those stories back to your product's designers.
1:15 - 1:30 p.m. - Networking Break
1:30 - 2:30 p.m. - Interactive Clinic: Manage an Escalating Crisis on Twitter
Work in small groups with your fellow Next Practices Annual Conference attendees as you immerse yourself in a mock crisis that threatens the reputation of an organization. Dallas Lawrence of Mattel, Inc. will define the crisis and begin his stopwatch—then it will be your team's job to create a strategy to manage a developing crisis on Twitter. Team leaders will share their strategies with all attendees, and our workshop leader will analyze the results to create a set of best practices.
You'll learn how to:
- Prevent or deter issues from escalating into a crisis
- Evaluate emerging situations and determine what to do in the first 24 hours
- Engage company employees, the media and followers on Twitter during a crisis
- Align your messages on Twitter with your other crisis management efforts
- Measure the effectiveness of your crisis communications
2:30 - 2:45 p.m. - Networking Break
2:45 - 3:30 p.m. - Anatomy of a Successful PR Team
We'll offer you a rare look at the inner workings of a PR department, including how the company's internal PR team interacts with marketing, the CEO, IT and its agency partner; how it develops PR metrics that speak the language of the C-suite; and how silos have been effectively broken down within the company to enable PR to truly move the business needle.
- How to structure an integrated team that's optimized for today's communications landscape
- How to create and leverage an internal content and conversation engine
- How to leverage big data to create relevant story lines in real time
- How to activate employees to amplify and interact with content consistently
- How to measure content relevance and performance and adapt as necessary
- How an in-house integrated communications team works optimally with an agency partner
3:30 - 4:00 p.m. - Top Apps & Tools All Communicators Should Use
Do you ever wonder if your PR colleagues and competitors have a line on the best apps and software tools to make their working lives more efficient and successful? We'll show you which apps, tools and emerging social media platforms you can't afford not to have—tools that can help you manage and monitor your social media presence on the go, simplify your business travel, communicate and share ideas internally and more.
- Which mobile apps no PR professional should live without—for work and for travel
- Which tools are easiest to use for monitoring social media activity on the go
- Which tools or apps can make your professional life easier to manage
- Which are the best tools to help you balance your professional and personal life
- Which emerging platforms and tools you should start using now
4:00 - 4:30 p.m. - Why Didn't I Think of That? 15 Unique PR Ideas in 30 Minutes
Close out PR News' Next Practices Annual Conference with a fast-paced rundown of practical, effective and original communications tactics you can put to work when you get back to the office.
- Tips on how to find and create visual content within your organization
- Best practices in creating social responsibility programs that inspire employees
- Practical takeaways for creating engagement on social channels
- Insight on how to generate media interest in a corporate blog
The PR News Writing Boot Camp will take place on August 5, a day prior to PR News’ Next Practices Annual Conference on August 6. Both events will be held at the Westin San Francisco on Market Street. When registering, you have the option to register for the Next Practices Annual Conference only or add the PR News Writing Boot Camp to your registration.
Special Bonus for Attending: Each attendee receives free access to PR News' Social Media Customer Service Webinar.
The group rate is for two or more people. Register now and join us at the Westin San Francisco Market Street on August 6 and immerse yourself in the skills you need to compete and thrive as a PR practitioner!
Contact Saun Sayamongkhun at email@example.com or 301-354-1694.
[Back to the Top]
PR News Certificate in Social Media :
Also, you earn 8 points toward your PR News Certificate in Social Media. Get 32 points (Four PR News digital/social media conferences) and you'll become a PR News Digital PR Master!
The Certificate in Social Media is a program offered by PR News in response to a growing need by PR professionals like you to prove your worth and knowledge within your organization, among your peers and to your business partners. Being a digital leader today means constantly staying ahead of the curve and gaining the requisite knowledge and tools to execute smart and effective digital communications initiatives. By attending PR News' Digital PR/Social Media Conferences, you can do both.
Each PR News Digital PR/Social Media conference you attend will come with points toward your Certificate in Social Media. Once you attend four PR News conferences within a 24-month period, you will earn your Certificate and become a PR News Digital PR Master. This elite group of PR Professionals, PR News Digital PR Masters, will receive industry recognition as being one of the top Digital PR Pros. PR News will honor an annual class of Digital PR Masters at one of its signature events. It is the goal of PR News to provide this one-of-a-kind opportunity to our PR community while raising the bar on digital communications excellence and showcasing top talent in this key area of PR. [Back to the Top]
Bonuses For Attending
You'll Become an Expert In
- Digital Communications
- Visual Storytelling
- Boosting Your Reach on Facebook
- Media Relations Next Practices
- Content Marketing
- Using Twitter for Crisis Management
- Measuring the Effectiveness of Your Social Media Programs
The Westin San Francisco, Market Street
50 3rd Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
PR News has arranged a room block at The Westin San Francisco for a rate of $269 a night. Click here to book your room.
The room block ends July 19.
Dress Code: Business Casual
If you'd like to register by phone or have questions regarding the program, please contact, Saun Sayamongkhun at firstname.lastname@example.org; 301-354-1694.
Who Should Attend
If you spend at least a quarter of your time in any of these areas, you should attend this Conference:
- Public Relations
- Digital and Social Media
- Community Relations
- Corporate Communications
- Word of Mouth Marketing
- SEM/SEO Management
- Brand Marketing
- Video Production
- Marketing Communications
- Employee Communications
- PR Business Development
- Human Resources
- Public Affairs/Issues Management
- Media Relations
Letter to Attend
Justification Letter to Attend
This PR News Conference will help you discover and implement digital communications ideas that deliver results. It will provide opportunities to make valuable connections with other PR and communications professionals who have solutions you need. And, it will prepare you for the road ahead. Do you need approval to attend this conference? Download the “Justification to Attend” letter—everything you need to present your business case.
Download Editable Word Doc
Some proceeds from this conference will go to Newtown's Memorial Fund - whose mission is to "provide for the immediate needs of the families of the 26 victims, those who were wounded but survived, the 12 children who were first-hand witnesses, and the others affected."
- This was a great event. Not only were the speakers knowledgeable and engaging, but the attendees were awesome. And networking was great! --Communications Manager, CIGNA
- My favorite speakers were Eliason, McCormick, Miller, Perkett and Roth. Great content; great presenters. – Media Relations Manager, ACT
- I thought it was incredibly relevant to the audience. I walked away with several key ideas that I can’t wait to implement on my clients behalf. – Chief Public Affairs Officer, Clemson University
- Great topics. Good variety. - President, Andrea Obston Marketing Communications
- It was a fantastically event, and many of the strategies delivered today will inform our company’s social media policies moving forward. – Online News Producer, Education Week
- Very good, well organized. – Director eRecruitment & Social Media, Sun Life Financial
- Great conference, speakers and venue!! Loved the clean, candid approach of all speakers towards the challenging environment of social media. -External Relations, US Operations and Marketing North America, Procter & Gamble
- I thought it was a wonderful event and I learned a great deal. It was an incredibly valuable seminar. -VP of Marketing, Retirement Living TV
- I was also so impressed with the overall event. The quality of the presentations was top-notch, and the ability to network with like-minded people during the breaks and at lunch was invaluable. -Director, Global Media Relations, SAP AG
- This was one of the best conferences I've ever attended. - Social Media Manager, Nautica
- I learned more in one day than I've learned all year! -Director, New Media, American Heart Association
- Fantastic keynote. The energy was perfect for a mid-day pick-me-up. Loved that PR is so well represented - rarely the case at other social media conferences. -Executive Director, PR & Communications, Jackson Spalding
- Great information and speakers. -E-Marketing Specialist, Ruud Lighting, Inc.
- Extremely helpful program and I learned a lot. -CEO, Alongi Media Solutions
- Wonderful and insightful event in which I would like to have my entire team participate, including some clients. -Account Executive, Digital Brand Architects
- Great event! I'm taking away valuable information and am excited to put the new knowledge to use! Well executed. Thanks! -Communications and Organizational Effectiveness Analyst, Hostess Brands, Inc.
- Fantastic and inspiring! -Program Marketing Manager, Pacific Gas & Electric Company
- Very helpful ideas that I will be able to use right away. Thanks! -Staff Services Manager, CalPERS
- Great speakers. -General Manager, KXLY Radio Group