Winner: Anthem Foundation - Hands Only CPR - Training 100 Million People to the beat of "Stayin' Alive"
Every 2 minutes in the U.S., a person will suffer a sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) outside of the hospital. Performing lifesaving CPR can double or even triple a person’s chance of surviving a SCA. Unfortunately, less than half of all SCA victims will receive CPR, and only 1 in 10 will survive.
The Anthem Foundation is committed to changing these statistics, and ensuring every SCA victim will receive life-saving CPR and live to see their family again.
In 2008, the American Heart Association (AHA) introduced the concept of “Hands-Only CPR” (HO-CPR). Hands-Only CPR is an easier version of long taught CPR that drops the difficult mouth-to-mouth maneuver, and only requires 2 simple steps. The program teaches that anyone can learn how to save a life in just 60 seconds by taking simple steps: call 911 and push hard and fast in the center of the chest to the beat of the Bee Gees’ hit “Stayin’ Alive,” (or another familiar song with 100-120 beats per minute).
No longer having to perform mouth-to-mouth was a great move forward in the science of CPR; however, the public was not aware of this important new change. The Anthem Foundation recognized the importance of teaching the simple life-saving skill of HO-CPR and has worked tirelessly with the AHA to create one of the most successful public education awareness campaigns ever.
Utilizing a mix of online 60-second educational videos, a national mobile HO-CPR tour, texting program, and web-based assets, the Anthem Foundation’s support has helped to increase bystander CPR response by 50% (31% up to 46%), and increase survival from SCA outside of the hospital by 37% from (7.6% to 10.4%).
The program’s impact has been tremendous and is on track to meet its goal to educate 100 million Americans about HO-CPR. Thus far, 6,891,028 people have trained online; 60,136 people have trained at live events; there have been 4,468,889,999 billion national and local media impressions; as well as 2,468,355,586 PSA impressions.
• Aspen Dental Management Inc. - The Healthy Mouth Movement
• Cigna Foundation and University of Maryland’s Center for Health Equity’s Media Campaign to Promote the Health Advocates In-Reach and Research (HAIR) Initiative
• Golden State Foods Gets Rolling Across the Country with Build-A-Bike
• Havas PR Global Collective - A Global Collaboration Wins the Day for Climate Science
• Havas PR North America - Moving Mountains to Draw Attention to Sacred Navajo Land
• Imprenta Communications Group - SoCalGas Media Roundtables
• JetBlue Airways - Soar with Reading
• Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. - Neutrogena Naturals Wipe For Water Campaign
• MWW - Subaru Drives Home the Shocking Need for Pet Safety