Winner: ICF International - 50th Anniversary Surgeon General's Report on Smoking and Health
With the theme of “Let’s Make the Next Generation Tobacco-Free," ICF used the 50th anniversary of the first Surgeon General’s Report (SGR)—and the release of the 2014 SGR on smoking and health—as an opportunity to lay the groundwork for action to further reduce smoking-related disease and death during the next 50 years by working with its client, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to deploy forward-looking messages about the devastating impact of smoking and work left to be accomplished.
ICF employed a broad range of communication initiatives prior to the launch of the 2014 SGR to generate interest from and participation by the widest possible spectrum of audiences. These included an aggressive earned media plan with targeted messaging, social media posts to highlight historical and health information, an audio podcast on smoke-free work places, and a short video with 50th anniversary branding and featuring ad participants from CDC’s highly successful “Tips from Former Smokers” campaign. ICF also worked with CDC to generate buzz about the report with key partners across the country.
Overall, the campaign was a stellar success, as earned media in the two weeks after the release of the 2014 SGR included 2,400 major stories, news coverage in 99 of the top 100 U.S. TV markets, at least 1.5 billion net impressions, and more than 4 million in ad value.
In addition, the “hub” for most of the report resources and activities achieved 25,081 unique visitors and 61,922 total visits within the first two weeks of the launch.
- American Heart Association - Southern New England Go Red For Women Luncheon: Birthday Bash 2014
- DeVries Global - Vidal Sassoon Pro Series “Show Your Genius” Program
- GE Lighting - Nela Park’s Centennial
- Goodman Media International, Inc. - Grand Central Terminal's 100th Anniversary
- ICF International - 50th Anniversary Surgeon General's Report on Smoking and Health
- NYU Langone Medical Center/Office of Communication – Hurricane Sandy
- Salesforce.com says thank you for 15 awesome years