Winner: United Nations Foundation—Public Affairs Team
It was a big year for the UN Foundation Public Affairs Team, as the UN Foundation’s Global Goals Communications Campaign bolstered the public dialogue and increased and enhanced reporting about the next set of global development goals in 2015, a year of opportunity.
The new global goals build on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)—a commitment by the UN to increase peace and build a healthier global economy from 2000 to 2015, by focusing on major issues like poverty, children’s health, empowerment of women and girls, sustainable environment, disease, and development.
The main goal of the Global Goals Communications Campaign was to help animate a bigger and better public conversation about the new global goals. The public affairs team aimed to increase the media conversation on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 18% and train more than 500 journalists and spokespeople.
The team has so far secured partnerships with 27 media outlets from around the world that have so far generated 108 pieces of content on global development issues. Through a partnership with the Thomson Reuters Foundation, 575 journalists and spokespeople participated in training events held in 34 cities across the globe. Since these training sessions, participants have generated over 150 articles.
GlobalDaily, launched in April 2015, has reached more than 1.5 million people via social media with a reach of up to 500,000 for key articles. On Facebook and Twitter, 97% and 79% of the audience, respectively, is from outside the United States, with top engagement coming from India, Kenya, and Mexico.
• American Heart Association - Step Up to the Plate for School Meals
• APCO Worldwide - Protecting North Carolina Nonprofit Tax Exemption
• The Canadian Alliance on Mental Illness and Mental Health - ACT!ON Mental Health
• Havas PR Global Collective - A Global Collaboration Wins the Day for Climate Science
• Illinois Policy Action - Chicago food-cart legalization
• National Association of Convenience Stores - NACS In Store