PR News Honors 2013 PR People Hall of Fame Inductees

prpeople_15towatch_2013_header_nb_596x250The threat of snow did not prevent more than 200 PR communications professionals from coming out Thursday to honor this year’s inductees to the PR People Hall of Fame at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

These PR professionals have played longtime leadership roles, serving as sources of inspiration beyond the workplace. This year’s honorees are:

• Howard J. Rubenstein - President, Rubenstein Associates, Inc.
  • Harold Burson - Founding Chairman, Burson-Marsteller
  • Ellen East - Executive VP and Chief Communications Officer, Time Warner Cable
  • Ray Kotcher - Senior Partner and Chairman , Ketchum
  • Jack Martin - Global Executive Chairman and CEO, Hill+Knowlton Strategies
  • Gary Sheffer - Corporate Communications & Public Affairs, General Electric

During the event each inductee was asked: Who was your most significant mentor when you began your career in communications, and as a mentor yourself, what’s the most important lesson you now impart?

Their mentors have varied, ranging from the head of a high school newspaper, to parents, to communications professors, and business leaders. But the advice from these Hall of Famers offers guidance and inspiration for a new generation of communicators.

Here’s a sample:

• Set a high ethical standard and back it up with hard work.
  • Do it the right way for yourself, your organization and the common good of our profession.
  • Enjoy PR, love it, work hard at it, but be ethical while you do it.
  • People will trust you for your solid ethics.
  • Coaching is as important as learning.

Follow Richard Brownell: @RickBrownell

Tags: , , , , , , , | Comments Off

avatar

About Richard Brownell

Richard Brownell is Content Manager, PR Events at PR News. He has several years' experience in developing and producing online events. Richard is a published author with several titles for young audiences to his credit. He has also written political commentary for several popular websites and his stage plays have been produced in New York and other major cities.

Deals of the Week

Get $150 Off PR News' Social Media Summit with Taste of Tech

prn_ms_175x135_ep

Unlike other conferences, you’ll be immersed in the strategies and tactics that you can apply right away to your work as a communicator. You’ll learn what it takes to compete for attention, engagement and positive brand awareness across an array of social media networks.

Use code “150off” at checkout.

Get $50 off PR News' Digital PR & Social Media Guidebook

DigitalPRSocialMedia_PrintDigital_vol6

This guidebook has one essential purpose: helping you maximize your communications effectiveness in the digital world. The articles in this guidebook produced both by the PR News staff and more than fifty communications industry thought leaders, focus on most every facet of digital PR and social media.

Use code “DIGITAL6” at checkout.

Save $100 on a PR News Subscription

Let PR News become your weekly, go-to resource for the latest PR trends, case studies and tip sheets. Topics covered include visual storytelling, social media, measurement, crisis management and media relations.

Use code “SUBDEAL” at checkout.