PR News Honors 2013 PR People Hall of Fame Inductees

prpeople_15towatch_2013_header_nb_596x250The threat of snow did not prevent more than 200 PR communications professionals from coming out Thursday to honor this year’s inductees to the PR People Hall of Fame at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

These PR professionals have played longtime leadership roles, serving as sources of inspiration beyond the workplace. This year’s honorees are:

• Howard J. Rubenstein - President, Rubenstein Associates, Inc.
  • Harold Burson - Founding Chairman, Burson-Marsteller
  • Ellen East - Executive VP and Chief Communications Officer, Time Warner Cable
  • Ray Kotcher - Senior Partner and Chairman , Ketchum
  • Jack Martin - Global Executive Chairman and CEO, Hill+Knowlton Strategies
  • Gary Sheffer - Corporate Communications & Public Affairs, General Electric

During the event each inductee was asked: Who was your most significant mentor when you began your career in communications, and as a mentor yourself, what’s the most important lesson you now impart?

Their mentors have varied, ranging from the head of a high school newspaper, to parents, to communications professors, and business leaders. But the advice from these Hall of Famers offers guidance and inspiration for a new generation of communicators.

Here’s a sample:

• Set a high ethical standard and back it up with hard work.
  • Do it the right way for yourself, your organization and the common good of our profession.
  • Enjoy PR, love it, work hard at it, but be ethical while you do it.
  • People will trust you for your solid ethics.
  • Coaching is as important as learning.

Follow Richard Brownell: @RickBrownell

Tags: , , , , , , , | Comments Off

avatar

About Richard Brownell

Richard Brownell is Group Content Manager at PR News. He has several years' experience in developing and producing online events. Richard is a published author with several titles for young audiences to his credit. He has also written political commentary for several popular websites and his stage plays have been produced in New York and other major cities.

Deals of the Week

Get $150 Off PR News' Big 4 Conference

big4-180x150
Join PR News at the Hyatt Regency in San Francisco on August 6 for the Big 4 Conference, where expert communicators will share in-depth case studies from their Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook and Instagram strategies.

Use code “150” at checkout to save $150 on the regular rate.

Get $50 off PR News' Social Media Guidebook

book-socialmedia-180x150

This 11-chapter guidebook focuses on communicating in a mobile and social world, winning the attention of audiences, social media listening strategy and technology, social media measurement and so much more.

Use code “50off” at checkout.

Save $100 on a PR News Subscription

cover5.18

Let PR News become your weekly, go-to resource for the latest PR trends, case studies and tip sheets. Topics covered include visual storytelling, social media, measurement, crisis management and media relations.

Use code “SUBDEAL” at checkout.