Twitter engagement can be a tough nut to crack, but not an impossible one. No matter the scale of your company or organization there are ways to tap into Twitter to make it a two-way communications platform.
For instance, Twitter chats allow brands to speak directly to the public while also listening in real-time. Peggy Ann Torney, associate director of public affairs for the Lymphoma Research Foundation, and speaker at PR News’ October 16 Digital PR Summit, has 6 tips for brands looking to roll out a Twitter chat and make it successful.
1. Plan: Develop a strategy that clearly defines the Twitter chat’s objectives, timeline and tactics. Remember to choose a hashtag that is unique to and descriptive of your Twitter chat.
2. Research: Monitor online conversations surrounding the topic of your Twitter chat to obtain a clear understanding of what is relevant and important to your target audience. This will help you to determine the ways in which you can lend your expertise to the conversations and have a meaningful impact.
3. Engage: Connect with key influencers and cultivate strategic partnerships via Twitter. This will not only help to establish your organization as a reliable voice in the field, but will also expand your social reach amongst your target audience.
4. Promote: Utilize multiple communication resources to promote the Twitter chat, including your organization’s print publications, e-communications, websites and social media platforms. In addition to these cross-promotional tactics, tools like Twitter chat calendars are also great resources to post information about your upcoming chat.
5. Execute: Have a Twitter chat host and moderator to expand the reach of your chat. You may also want to use a third party application, such as Hootsuite or TweetChat, to assist with tracking your hashtag and conversation.
6. Analyze: Archive your chat and analyze its impact. Use the metrics to determine any areas for improvement and use these findings to shape strategies for future chats.
Hear more from Torney and learn how to "Get Your Message in Front of the Right Followers on Twitter" at PR News' Digital PR Summit, which takes place on Oct. 16 at the Grand Hyatt in New York.
Follow Caysey Welton: @CayseyW