Pinterest, says Homes.com director of social media Erica Campbell Byrum, is like fantasy football for women. But in order to leverage its power across the vast community of users, brands need to think strategically, starting with a fully mapped out editorial calendar that covers all stakeholder sub-communities and passions with consistency. Homes.com uses such a calendar and does so within a context that engages all team members. Here are some of Byrum's internal best practices for use of the calendar.
- Share it where everyone can see it, touch it and live it
- Place accountability on the team—ensure that those responsible for various elements get things done as assigned
- Align directly with PR pitches—by doing so, you strengthen brand messages and expand participation in the Pinterest campaign
- Provide big picture and hourly details
- Map out topic themes in advance
- Tie Pinterest campaigns into trends and seasonality
At the PR News Big 3 Conference, where Byrum spoke on Thurday, she shared this sample calendar: