A research study conducted by MS&L identified key behaviors of online influencers and outlined the following program for maximizing the digital influence they have over audiences:
1. Understand influencers' motivations: High level of interest, sense of responsibility, joining the green movement, offline triggers
2. Know where to find them: search engines and portals, general news media sites, Web sites of publications
3. Understand what they share and the sources they gather from: news media sites, Web sites of publications, nonprofits, academic sites
4. Create content that resonates: green living, energy conservation, local and global environmental issues
5. Tailor content to their audience: friends and family, colleagues, classmates
6. Tailor content to sharing methods: verbal, e-mail, etc.
For more on this Quick Study, see the January 19, 2009 issue of PR News.