The oft-contentious relationship between traditional and social media appears to be warming up—at least, according to a study released by Context Analytics.
The report, titled “The Power 50: Most Influential Blogs,” analyzed the state of bloggers’ credibility in traditional media and identified the 50 most influential blogs, the top 10 of which were:
• The Huffington Post
• Daily Kos
• The Drudge Report
• Perez Hilton
• Boing Boing
As for the additional findings:
• Mainstream media journalists are citing blogs more and more regularly, with the number of citations growing by 45% as compared to last year’s findings;
• 70% of all citations were attributable to the Power 50’s top 10;
• Political blogs accounted for 60% of all traditional media citations of the Power 50;
• Business blogs, on the other hand, were rarely cited in traditional media, with only 2% of the Power 50’s citations; and,
• Traditionally media generally referenced political, gossip and business blogs for primary source material, such as interviews or transcripts, while technology and lifestyle/entertainment blogs were cited more often for opinions.