Five Simples Rules for Handling the Press When in Crisis Mode
Rule Number One: Answer every press call, even if all you can say is you can't comment at the present time.
Rule Number Two: Give reporters a number where they can reach you after hours for last-minute questions.
Rule Number Three: If you want to keep your comments off the record, tell the reporter before you answer any questions.
Rule Number Four: Keep an ongoing log of whom you spoke to and when, and what the conversation was about.
Rule Number Five: If the issue is complex, then it may behoove you to refer the reporter to an expert in your field who can further clarify or explain the situation.
You might also be interested in:
- Tim Cook Outs Apple as an 'Advocate for Human Rights and Equality'
- Taco Bell 'Blacks Out' Its Social Media Presence to Promote a New App
- Taylor Swift Backlash Could Be a Case of No Such Thing as Bad Publicity
- Facebook Wants to Host Publishers' Content Directly on Its Mobile App
- Crisis Communications at Work in NYC Ebola Case