Getting the C-suite to acknowledge the value of PR is an age-old battle, but today there is an extra component to sell: social media, as Web 2.0 goes hand-in-hand with all stakeholder communications. To get senior leaders on board with your social media strategies, Shana Harris, SVP, Warschawski, and Susan Goodell, senior director, Warshawski, offer the following tips:
Become an Expert:
- Educate yourself on social media before providing recommendations to the management team/client.
- Understand the pros and cons before entering the social media space.
- Identify if social media is a fit for your brand and an effective way to reach your audience.
- Get buy-in from senior leadership up front to ensure everyone is on board.
- Identify any possible hurdles and risks so they know what to expect.
- Create Web 2.0 guidelines, protocols and policies.
Tie all social media campaigns to business goals and make it part of an integrated communications strategy.
For more on this topic, see the March 23, 2009 issue of PR News.