When Facebook announced Monday, April 9, that it had acquired photo-sharing app Instagram for $1 billion, Instagram’s founders—Stanford grads Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger—became very rich young men. The acquisition that has put Instagram in the spotlight also begs a question for PR pros: How rich is the app when leveraged in communications programs? Quite possibly as rich as Pinterest is becoming for brands. Like Pinterest, Instagram’s appeal is visual, and photos appear to be the communications vehicle du jour in social media. “It’s no longer ‘tell me a story,’ it’s ‘show me a story,’” says Donetta Allen, VP and social media practice leader at Hunter PR.
Adding Instagram to Your PR Mix? That’s the $1 Billion Question
You might also be interested in:
- 6 Tips to Help Build Execs' Credibility Through Bylined Articles
- Retailers' Social Actions on Instagram Up 48% Compared to Last Year
- Analytics, SEO, Virtual Teams, Video Surged in 2015, Will Continue in 2016
- A 6-Step Pre-Holidays PR Checkup to Bring the Year to a Successful Close
- 7 Tech Trends Chief Communications Officers Should Track in 2016