When identifying keywords to optimize online content for search, Robb Hecht, SVP and digital marketing strategist at imc strategy labs, recommends the following best practices:
• Industry/Market Knowledge: Consider your market knowledge when formulating content and choosing keywords.
• Competitors: Analyze competitors’ sites and their offline and online marketing communications collateral, as these have keywords that will likely be used in SEM/SEO campaigns.
• Web Analytics: Leverage Web analytics to learn the key phrases visitors used to arrive at your site.
• Site Search Box: Analyze your site’s internal search tool for insights on what users come to your site for; then work your findings into your offline content strategies to drive traffic online.
• Messaging. Analyze which SEM ad copy provides the highest click-through rates; transfer this into your SEO campaign, using it within the page title and metadata to increase click-through rates.