Podcasting Still Waiting in the Wings
However, the research found that the communications platform still has a ways to go to become a fixture in the everyday lives of Internet users. Among the research findings:
• 19% of surveyed Internet users have downloaded a podcast, up from 12% in August 2006 and 7% in a February-April 2006 survey;
• Of those who do download podcasts, only 17% do so on a typical day; and,
• 22% of online men have downloaded a podcast as compared to 16% of online women; that said, men and women are equally likely (3%) to download podcasts on a typical day.
As podcasting downloads increase, so does the number of people who own MP3 devices. According to a December 2007 Pew Internet Project survey:
• 34% of American adults and 43% of Internet users reported owning an MP3 player, up from 20% of the total population and 26% of Internet users in April 2006; and,
• Young adults between the ages of 18 and 29 are most likely to own these gadgets, with 61% of that demographic having reported owning an MP3 device.
Source: Pew Internet & ALP
You might also be interested in:
- Teach a CEO to Tweet and You'll Get Social Media Buy-In for a Lifetime
- Quality Videos Start With Sharp Listening Skills
- Periscope Up: How Southwest, Adobe and Human Rights Campaign Use PR’s Hottest New App
- How to Protect Your Brand From Digital Information Leaks
- Get Emotional and Watch Fans Share Your Content More Frequently