The Upward Viral Spiral Continues: A comScore Video Metrix survey has revealed that Internet video continues to grow at astounding rates. The survey found that during March 2008, U.S. Internet users watched a total of 11.5 billion videos. None other than Google ranked first for the month, with more than 4.3 billion videos viewed, 98% of which were hosted by YouTube.com. Fox Interactive Media ranked a distant second, at 477 million clips. Yahoo and Viacom Digital placed third and fourth, respectively.
The study also found that:
· Nearly 139 million U.S. Internet users watched an average of 83 videos per viewer in March;
· Google sites also attracted the most viewers (85.7 million), who watched an average of 51 videos per person;
· 73% of the total U.S. Internet audience viewed online video;
· 84 million viewers watched 4.3 billion videos on YouTube (50.4 videos per viewer);
· 47 million viewers watched 400 million videos on MySpace (8.4 videos per viewer);
· The average video duration was 2.8 minutes; and,
· The average online video viewer watched 235 minutes of video.
Source: comScore Video Metrix