Company: Roll International (Paramount Farms) Timeframe: March - Dec. 2009 In early 2009, life wasn’t all it was cracked up to be for the pistachio. In March of that year, the FDA issued a precautionary, voluntary recall for the green nut for salmonella contamination, which caused a media firestorm and an ensuing panic of pistachio lovers nationwide. Although the FDA found that one single grower that contributed less than 1% of the total harvest in 2008 was responsible for the recall, the damage had been done: category sales plummeted by 60%—although there were no reported illnesses. Nut Job: Levi Johnston (right) and his bodyguard, Tank, cracked the viral code with a controversial 30-second spot promoting pistachios.
Case Study: Edgy Ad Campaign, With Hefty Digital, Traditional PR Support, Helps the Pistachio Come Out of Its Shell
You might also be interested in:
- Case Study: Kroger Tackles Sustainability One Lonely Orange at a Time
- Northwestern Mutual Goes to Bat for Childhood Cancer
- Case Study: Klick Health Program Rewards Employees Doing Well By Enabling Them To Donate To Charity of Their Choice
- Case Study: Nikon 1 Uses Celebrities and Consumers in a Facebook Photo-Sharing Campaign Designed to Expand its Market
- Case Study: Academy of Country Music Generates New Engagement For its Awards With Multifaceted Twitter PR Campaign