During troubled times, the drivers of sustainability activies like enhanced productivity, morale and reputation can help companies realize valuable benefits from their corporate citizenship activies. In fact, these benefits are even more imperative in tough times than they are under business as usual.
According to a new report by The Conference Board, which studies 11 major companies, a sustainability program needs a strong framework and ongoing management support. Below are six best practices on how your company can build a solid citizenship and sustainability program:
- Build the right team;
- Your mission statement is more than a slogan;
- If your goal sounds like an empty promise, that's what it will be;
- Plan and execute the rollout with great care;
- Keep the momentum going by engaging internal and external stakeholders; and,
- Citizenship initiatives don't stop at the door of your corporate headquarters.