In this turbulent economic climate, environmentally friendly products may have the best prospects for success. The 2009 Cone Consumer Environmental Study indicates that despite the recession, only 8% of Americans consider themselves any less likely to invest in environmentally responsible products, while 34% say they are more likely to buy such products and 44% report that they are no more or less inclined to do so.
The study, conducted by Cone Inc., also found that:
• 35% of Americans have more interest in the environment today than they did one year ago;
• 35% of Americans have higher expectations of companies to make and sell environmentally responsible products and services during the economic downturn;
• 70% of Americans claim that they are paying attention to what companies are doing with regard to the environment, even if they cannot currently invest in their products;
• 63% of Americans trust companies to tell them the truth in their environmental messaging; and,
• 85% believe companies should communicate their environmental commitments year-round.
Source: Cone Inc.