Deloitte for "We Are Defined by Our Responsibilities"
On August 29, 2007, Deloitte's board approved an official corporate responsibility policy, which formally proclaimed the company's commitment to "promote human dignity and ethical behavior, advance learning and culture, and advocate the sustainable use of natural resources and the environment." While establishing the policy was a big step for Deloitte's CR efforts, one key action still needed to be accomplished: Engaging employees to be the driving force behind the policy.
ALIGNING CULTURE WITH VALUES
To foster grassroots adoption of the CR mission across the entire company, the communications team homed in on the 'roll up your sleeves' culture, initiating a robust employee relations program that included the following
- Sustainability Awareness/Education: Generates awareness among the 44,000 active Deloitte employees.
- Greening Toolkit: Contains 35+ projects for each office.
- DeloitteNet: Online portal acts as a sustainability hub.
- Ethics Training: 24/7 Integrity Helpline counsels employees on concerns.
- Green Dot Scorecard: Shows performance by office in terms of greening projects completed.
- Green Leadership Council: Provides counsel and regional perspective from its eight regional representatives.
CONNECTING THE DOTS
Thanks to these elements, which only represent a few of many that Deloitte execs created to engage employees, the company's corporate responsibility mission has been effectively and officially integrated into day-to-day operations.