American International Group, Inc. (AIG) has just released its second report on corporate responsibility, "Putting our Strength Behind Sustainability", which focuses on long-term sustainability and illustrates how AIG’s Vision and Values guide the company’s approach to environmental, social, and governance [ESG] issues.
The report covers eight focus areas and details how these corporate responsibility initiatives are creating value for AIG, its customers, business partners and shareholders, as they contribute to the growth of sustainable, prosperous communities.
Highlights from the report include:
- A sustainable investment strategy - integrating ESG analysis into the company’s investment process.
- Environmental responsibility - developing new insurance products that address client needs related to alternative energy and limiting carbon emissions, as well as products that support the growing carbon market.
- Entrepreneurship and empowerment - continuing to deliver financial services to the world’s working poor through microfinance
- Diversity - recognizing that companies with diverse employees, clients and suppliers are better positioned to develop creative solutions to complex business challenges.
- Corporate giving - striving to make a difference in the communities where AIG does business by partnering with charitable organizations.
In 2008, AIG was listed by Innovest as one of the 100 most sustainable companies in the world. The Global 100 includes companies from 16 countries that are evaluated according to how effectively they manage environmental, social and governance risks and opportunities, relative to their industry peers.