Company: Ben & Jerry's Agency: ViTrue Inc. Timeframe: April 2008-ongoing For such a young company by most standards, Ben & Jerry's has a long and storied history, having evolved from a small-town ice cream shop founded by two childhood friends-- Ben and Jerry, of course--to an international franchise that was acquired by multi-brand behemoth Unilever in 2000. But the happy-go-lucky, tree-hugging brand, known for its funky flavors and its "peace, love and ice cream" mantra, didn't convert to "corporate," despite the buttoned-up personality of its new parent company; rather, its leadership took great pains to stay true to Ben & Jerry's roots, tie-dye and all. Now, in light of the company's nontraditional approach to business success, its management team has one more thing to talk about: the launch of its newest philanthropic endeavor (along with that of its corollary, namesake ice cream flavor), "Imagine Whirled Peace." In addition to its noble mission--you guessed it: spreading the message of world peace--the campaign's creators took a quirky approach to get the attention of audiences of all shapes and flavors--an approach that led the scoop shop into the unknown.
Case Study: The Flavor of Philanthropy: A Spunky Brand Goes Social in the Name of Peace, Love and Ice Cream
You might also be interested in:
- Case Study: Kroger Tackles Sustainability One Lonely Orange at a Time
- Northwestern Mutual Goes to Bat for Childhood Cancer
- Case Study: Klick Health Program Rewards Employees Doing Well By Enabling Them To Donate To Charity of Their Choice
- Case Study: Nikon 1 Uses Celebrities and Consumers in a Facebook Photo-Sharing Campaign Designed to Expand its Market
- Case Study: Academy of Country Music Generates New Engagement For its Awards With Multifaceted Twitter PR Campaign