The most powerful action in reputation recovery and rehabilitation is to apologize. If you want or need forgiveness, you'll need to apologize. Management avoids apologizing by using an amazing array of avoidance strategies. There's self-forgiveness: "It's an industry problem, we're not the only ones," "Let's not blow this out of proportion." There's self-talk: "It's only an isolated incident," "It's never happened before," "Not very many were involved," and "Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Tip Sheet: The Power of Apology: Shaping Strategies for Saying ‘Sorry’
You might also be interested in:
- How LEGO's Global Innovation STEM Award Program Cut Through the Media Clutter
- 8 Video Scripting Tips for PR Pros
- Get Emotional and Watch Fans Share Your Content More Frequently
- Periscope Up: How Southwest, Adobe and Human Rights Campaign Use PR’s Hottest New App
- How to Protect Your Brand From Digital Information Leaks