The most powerful action in reputation recovery and rehabilitation is to apologize. If you want or need forgiveness, you'll need to apologize. Management avoids apologizing by using an amazing array of avoidance strategies. There's self-forgiveness: "It's an industry problem, we're not the only ones," "Let's not blow this out of proportion." There's self-talk: "It's only an isolated incident," "It's never happened before," "Not very many were involved," and "Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Tip Sheet: The Power of Apology: Shaping Strategies for Saying ‘Sorry’
You might also be interested in:
- 6 Ways to Integrate Employees Into Your Organizational Messaging
- 4 Steps to a Winning Social Media Narrative
- Despite Surge in Visual Storytelling, Text Articles Lead in Engagement
- How Four Big Brands Crafted Multi-Platform Content Catering to Their Demographic Targets
- Most Effective Online Newsrooms ‘Hybrids’ That Serve the Media and Consumers Alike