Winner: Development Counsellors International Campaign: Helping the Displaced of Hurricane Katrina: A National Public Outreach Campaign Recognized as the most devastating natural disaster in the United States in 2005; it was also a juggernaut of public relations functions, from crisis communications to community relations. In the latter category, the Development Counsellors International (DCI) - an organization that specializes in economic development and tourism marketing - set a high standard with its work to promote the Baton Rouge Area Foundation's efforts to help the devastated community recover. The Foundation's work was often overshadowed in the press by that of high-profile national entities such as the American Red Cross and FEMA, but its dexterity enabled it to accommodate victims on a more personal level. The DCI team initiated a media outreach effort to draw attention to the nonprofit's capabilities during the city's darkest hours. While it was no challenge to attract camera crews to the region, it was far more difficult to persuade them to focus on the Foundation's work.
You might also be interested in:
- How LEGO's Global Innovation STEM Award Program Cut Through the Media Clutter
- 8 Video Scripting Tips for PR Pros
- Get Emotional and Watch Fans Share Your Content More Frequently
- Periscope Up: How Southwest, Adobe and Human Rights Campaign Use PR’s Hottest New App
- How to Protect Your Brand From Digital Information Leaks