Bodybuilding pioneer Joe Gold, who died in July at the age of 82, was a big believer in growing his business through word of mouth -- what's now called "viral marketing." After all, it was an up-and-coming bodybuilder named Arnold Schwarzenegger - well before Hollywood and politics beckoned - who helped to put Gold's Gym on the map not long after it opened in 1965. Gold sold the rights to the Gold name in 1971, and the new owners franchised the name into a health- club empire that now has more than 550 facilities in 25 countries, with 2.5 million members. And throughout the years Gold's Gym International, currently owned by TRT Holdings, consistently has made sure to include PR in the health-club chain's DNA.
Want To Keep AOR Designation? Stick To The Letters
You might also be interested in:
- How LEGO's Global Innovation STEM Award Program Cut Through the Media Clutter
- 8 Video Scripting Tips for PR Pros
- Get Emotional and Watch Fans Share Your Content More Frequently
- Periscope Up: How Southwest, Adobe and Human Rights Campaign Use PR’s Hottest New App
- How to Protect Your Brand From Digital Information Leaks