Bodybuilding pioneer Joe Gold, who died in July at the age of 82, was a big believer in growing his business through word of mouth -- what's now called "viral marketing." After all, it was an up-and-coming bodybuilder named Arnold Schwarzenegger - well before Hollywood and politics beckoned - who helped to put Gold's Gym on the map not long after it opened in 1965. Gold sold the rights to the Gold name in 1971, and the new owners franchised the name into a health- club empire that now has more than 550 facilities in 25 countries, with 2.5 million members. And throughout the years Gold's Gym International, currently owned by TRT Holdings, consistently has made sure to include PR in the health-club chain's DNA.
Want To Keep AOR Designation? Stick To The Letters
You might also be interested in:
- PR News/Nasdaq Survey: Nearly One-Fifth of Communicators Shun Measurement Entirely
- Where Does PR Stand on Paid Social Media? Survey Shows Ambivalence About Spending
- Social Media Engagement on Video Posts Soars 163 Percent in 2015
- 10 Tips for Faster, More Effective Internal Crisis Communications When Time Is of the Essence
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Social Media Reporting and Measurement Process