This week's strategy: Know your audience. PR professionals sometimes lose sight of their true target, especially in the case of long-term, ongoing campaigns. When the 12-year- old "Don't Mess with Texas" anti-litter campaign was awarded to Tuerff-Davis EnviroMedia, the PR team realized it needed to do some research to uncover the best direction for its messaging. After groundbreaking research that analyzed more than 20,000 pieces of trash from Texas roadsides, the firm discovered that the campaign's target audience, pickup truck-driving males between the ages of 18 and 34, was no longer responsible for the majority of Texas' litter. The campaign was targeting an off-base demographic.
Strategy of the Week
You might also be interested in:
- 6 Tips to Help Build Execs' Credibility Through Bylined Articles
- 7 Tech Trends Chief Communications Officers Should Track in 2016
- How to Use Measurement to Assess What Worked in '15 and Plan for '16
- Retailers' Social Actions on Instagram Up 48% Compared to Last Year
- Analytics, SEO, Virtual Teams, Video Surged in 2015, Will Continue in 2016