This week's strategy: Know your audience. PR professionals sometimes lose sight of their true target, especially in the case of long-term, ongoing campaigns. When the 12-year- old "Don't Mess with Texas" anti-litter campaign was awarded to Tuerff-Davis EnviroMedia, the PR team realized it needed to do some research to uncover the best direction for its messaging. After groundbreaking research that analyzed more than 20,000 pieces of trash from Texas roadsides, the firm discovered that the campaign's target audience, pickup truck-driving males between the ages of 18 and 34, was no longer responsible for the majority of Texas' litter. The campaign was targeting an off-base demographic.
Strategy of the Week
You might also be interested in:
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Measuring Your Content Marketing Campaigns
- 6 Ways to Integrate Employees Into Your Organizational Messaging
- 4 Steps to a Winning Social Media Narrative
- Despite Surge in Visual Storytelling, Text Articles Lead in Engagement
- How Four Big Brands Crafted Multi-Platform Content Catering to Their Demographic Targets