This week's strategy: Know your audience. PR professionals sometimes lose sight of their true target, especially in the case of long-term, ongoing campaigns. When the 12-year- old "Don't Mess with Texas" anti-litter campaign was awarded to Tuerff-Davis EnviroMedia, the PR team realized it needed to do some research to uncover the best direction for its messaging. After groundbreaking research that analyzed more than 20,000 pieces of trash from Texas roadsides, the firm discovered that the campaign's target audience, pickup truck-driving males between the ages of 18 and 34, was no longer responsible for the majority of Texas' litter. The campaign was targeting an off-base demographic.
Strategy of the Week
You might also be interested in:
- Get Emotional and Watch Fans Share Your Content More Frequently
- Periscope Up: How Southwest, Adobe and Human Rights Campaign Use PR’s Hottest New App
- How to Protect Your Brand From Digital Information Leaks
- How LEGO's Global Innovation STEM Award Program Cut Through the Media Clutter
- 8 Video Scripting Tips for PR Pros