Get to know freelance writers. While a relationship with a New York Times reporter or the editor of the leading magazine in your industry is key, well-connected freelance writers can offer not only great placements but a wide variety of placements. Jen Schmits Thomas, principal with Hetrick Communications in Indianapolis, discovered just that when she met a freelance writer working for The Chicago Tribune in 1998. The freelancer was assigned to write a feature story on the restoration of the West Baden Springs Hotel, a National Historic Landmark in southern Indiana. Thomas got to know the writer well while she was working on that story, and learned her style and her interests.
Strategy of the Week
You might also be interested in:
- How LEGO's Global Innovation STEM Award Program Cut Through the Media Clutter
- 8 Video Scripting Tips for PR Pros
- Get Emotional and Watch Fans Share Your Content More Frequently
- Periscope Up: How Southwest, Adobe and Human Rights Campaign Use PR’s Hottest New App
- How to Protect Your Brand From Digital Information Leaks