Sticks and Stones May Break Bones, but Names May Drive Up Sales When Moral Majority Founder Jerry Falwell labeled Tinky Winky gay, the charge set off a media frenzy and a strong response from The itsy-bitsy Entertainment Company, the U.S. marketer of licenses for Teletubbies. The TV program for pre-school children features four happy, infant-like space alien characters, including Tinky Winky. The media-magnet incident began with a "Parents Alert" article in the February issue of Falwell's National Liberty Journal (NLJ), headlined "Tinky Winky Comes Out of the Closet.
You might also be interested in:
- 4 Tips for a Successful Social Media Takeover
- This is What a Successful Agency-Client Relationship Looks Like
- How Influencers Built Buzz for Elizabeth Arden's UntoldMOMent Campaign
- Case Study: Kroger Tackles Sustainability One Lonely Orange at a Time
- Northwestern Mutual Goes to Bat for Childhood Cancer