- Jumpstart – Jumpstart’s Read for the Record. One Day. To Jumpstart a Child's Future. Jumpstart's Read for the Record, presented in partnership with the Pearson Foundation, brings together millions of Americans to celebrate literacy by breaking the world record for reading the same book on the same day.
- Packed with compelling images and highly informative data points, the United Nations Foundation’s report demonstrated a higher level of stakeholder engagement than previous iterations.
- In an effort to strengthen the community among the Sunshine State’s realtors, Florida Realtors PAC rolled out a branding campaign, called “I Give Because…” along with a new logo and a slew of social-media messaging.
- The Marcus Group helped music nonprofit Little Kids Rock elevate awareness by increasing media placements by 40%—which drove individual donations to LKR up 160%.
- The American Psychological Association Practice Directorate and Vanguard Communications’ five-week digital PR program successfully educated people living with depression and anxiety about their treatment options.
- In the face of declining mother/baby health outcomes, Lamaze International engaged JPA to launch the Push for Your Baby campaign to reach expecting moms with information they need to push for the safest, healthiest birth possible.
- Launched to get the word out about its projects and the people behind them, The Ronald McDonald House e-newsletter has been instrumental in raising additional funding for a new House, to the tune of $1 million.
- Piedmont Healthcare’s internal introduction to an external rebrand attracted 7,000 unique visitors to a dedicated microsite and included individual brand launch parties that were big hits among employees.
- Open Hearts Foundation called on PR agency Henson Consulting to help the foundation show the love, organizing the group’s second annual events and putting the spotlight on Open Heart stories—selfless individuals who give to others in the face of adverse conditions.
- The Nature Conservancy distributed to its media contacts a booklet with the contact info of media-savvy nature experts, making it as easy as possible for them to book spokespeople whenever "nature" called.
- To get to the bottom of bullying, DoSomething,org created a Facebook app that collated the thoughts of hundreds of thousands of students across the nation, resulting in 275 million media impressions and a more informed public.
- In raising $325,000 for Ronald McDonald House, Henson Consulting scored with a hockey game featuring some of the world’s greatest players, while satiating fans desperate for the sport during the NHL lockout.
- American Airlines’ fuel-saving initiatives have taken off in the last two years, thanks to boosting the number of its employees participating in the airline’s fuel-conservation program, Fuel Smart.
- Using a combination of social media, media relations and live events, the 100th birthday celebration of iconic Grand Ole Opry comedian Minnie Pearl resulted in a dramatic increase in awareness and client referrals for the Foundation named after her.
- Singer Associates successfully cast the city of San Bruno as David in a fight against Goliath for a press conference staged to force Pacific Gas & Electric back to the negotiating table to discuss compensation over a deadly natural gas explosion.
- The ASAP weekly newsletter’s emphasis on member benefits, services and news struck a chord with ASA membership, which was relieved to have its email blasts pared down. According to a 2011 member survey, the majority of membership read ASAP every week.
- Henson Consulting leveraged Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel as an event spokesperson to raise awareness of a performance by the Paris Opera Ballet and of Chicago’s Harris Theater as a national arts leader.
- A media relations strategy featuring highly targeted press releases helped put the spring back in the financial steps of the central Iowa Shoes That Fit program, which provides new shoes and other winter clothing to children in need.
- After the worst natural gas explosion and fire in U.S. history, a press release and press conference executed by Singer Associates helped prompt utility provider Pacific Gas & Electric to pay the city of San Bruno, Calif., $70 million in restitution.
- Set up to coincide with National Adoption Day, a PSA video featuring actor Willie Garson and his adopted son translated into more than 6 million media impressions and led to more than 4,500 children living in foster care being adopted by their forever families.
- AHA, hoping to motivate its community to actively support AHA’s initiatives and goals, launched a volunteer program, Social Media Diplomats, which led to the creation of eight engagement-stoking social media events.
- In 2012 the Allstate Foundation and Zeno Group successfully established the Purple Purse icon as one of the most recognizable symbols in the anti-domestic violence movement—and, not incidentally, further establish Allstate as a leader in social responsibility.
- The UN Foundation’s global RioPlusSocial conversation focused on topics related to #SocialGood and explored how social media and technology can play a pivotal role in creating sustainable solutions for the future of the planet.
- Ogilvy’s Million Hearts campaign for the CDC helped draw attention to an often-untapped resource for those with hypertension: their pharmacists.
- In September 2012, croplifeamerica.org received a design refresh for its homepage and sub-pages; since the site design refresh and accompanying campaign, the site has seen a 28.6% increase in overall page views.
- The UN Foundation saw a triple-digit increase in the number of its social media followers after launching a media outreach campaign and making its experts available to international media.
- WGU Indiana Chancellor Allison Barber has demonstrated communications mastery in introducing and raising the awareness of Indiana's nonprofit, online university. Her 2011 efforts resulted in increased enrollment (769%) to more than 2,000 students statewide. Inquiries increased 264% and applications increased 570%.
PR News Nonprofit PR Awards
PR News celebrated the finest people and programs in nonprofit communications today at the 2013 Nonprofit PR Awards luncheon at Washington, D.C. More than 200 nonprofit communications executives packed the National Press Club ballroom to honor the work of their colleagues and peers, and share best practices and lessons learned in the nonprofit space. View photos from the event.
Daniel Wordsworth, president and CEO of the American Refugee Committee, focused on the importance of storytelling win delivering the luncheon keynote, "Use Campfire Stories Instead of Elevator Pitches for Your Nonprofit."
"The greatest stories for nonprofit communcators are the stories that our clients tell—not our stories," Wordworth said. "It's about clients discussing the differences that organizations have made in their lives. Think about the feelings you want people to have as they experience that story with you."
When people listen to our stories, he added, they are looking to see themselves. "People need to walk away from stories feeling like wonderful human beings and that they can make a difference in the world."
Notable winners include Allison Barber of Western Governors University, who was named Nonprofit Communicator of the Year; Henson Consulting won in the Fundraising category for its Champs for Charity campaign for Ronald McDonald House and UN Foundation's Public Affairs Team, which took home of the Association/Nonprofit PR Team of the Year award. To order additional awards for you and your team, click here.
See below for the full list of finalists and winners.
PR News Nonprofit PR Awards - Winners and Honorable Mentions
- Crawford Strategy - Mission Hospital COPA Campaign
- Nyhus Communications - Washington United for Marriage Launch
- Solomon McCown & Company - NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts: Elevating Women's Issues in a Pivotal Massachusetts Senate Race
- ASCD - 2011 Annual Report
- Broadhead + Company - Progressive Agriculture Foundation 2011 Annual Report
- Counterpart International Inc. - Annual Report: Building Trust, Building Partnerships
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners - NAIC 2011 Online Report: “The Home of U.S. Insurance Regulation”
- #GivingTuesday Communication Team - Let's Get Out the Give this Holiday Season with #Giving Tuesday
- IES Abroad
- Longwood Gardens - Refreshing A Cultural Legacy Brand
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine - STFM Logo and Corporate Rebrand
- Strategic Image, Inc. - Catholic Charities Money School
The Marcus Group - Little Kids Rock Pro Bono Campaign
- Bank of America Corporation - Gift for Opportunity Fund
- Dosomething.org - DoSomething.org & Âeropostale: Teens for Jeans
- Simantel Group - FRTOA Brand Awareness
American Psychological Association and Vanguard Communications - Psychotherapy: More than a Quick Fix
- Burson-Marstellar - ICANN's global public education campaign for new generic Top-Level Domains
- PBS - "Trusted, Valued and Essential"
- Powell Tate - This Is Personal
- Washoe County School District - Countdown to Graduation
- Pentagon Force Protection Agency - The Shield: PFPA Commemorates Ten years 2002 - 2012
Henson Consulting Inc. - HC has Heart: 2nd Annual Open Hearts Foundation Event Creates Buzz, Changes Lives
- American Society of Clinical Oncology - 2012 ASCO Annual Meeting Press Program
- American Society of Landscape Architects - Landscape Architect's Guide to DC Campaign
- Croplife America - 2012 National Policy Conference, "The Politics of Food and the 2012 Farm Bill: Are YOU Being Served?"
- dashTHIRTYdash - The Death of the Daily Times-Picayune & the Unification of a City
- America's Wetland Foundation - Blue Ribbon Resilient Communities Envisioning the Future of America's Energy Coast
- Cause Communications - "2-Minute Answer Guide for Nonprofits" Book and Website
- NYU Langone Medical Center – TEAM SCIENCE – 2012 Research Report
- Office Depot Foundation/JKG Group - 2011 Office Depot Foundation Report to the Community
- Fenton - Mom's the Word
- Ogilvy PR - Million Hearts: TEAMing UP to bring high blood PRESSURE DOWN Ogilvy Public Relations on behalf of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Powell Tate - This Is Personal
- United Nations Foundation - Uniting Girls to Change the World
Henson Consulting Inc. - Champs for Charity: Hockey Greats Suit up to Raise Funds for Ronald McDonald House
- Carmelita Group - The #IAM CAMPAIGN
- Florida Realtors - Florida Realtors PAC, "I Give Because ..." Campaign
- Brunet-García Advertising & P.R. - Speak Up for Florida's Waters initiative
- Keep a Breast Foundation - Non Toxic Revolution
- Oklahoma Municipal Power Authority (OMPA) - Oklahoma Comfort Program (OCP)
- Burson-Marsteller - ICANN's global public education campaign for new generic Top-Level Domains
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners - Consumers: "Know Your Stuff" Home Inventory App Program
- Fleishman-Hillard and St. Baldrick's Foundation - St. Baldrick's Foundation: Mission to Conquer Childhood Cancers
- Global Strategy Group - Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence: Engaging the Media to Enhance the Safety of Victims of Domestic Violence
- The Nature Conservancy - Coral Reefs Saved My Life
- U.S. Olympic Committee - Thank You Britain
- Weber Shandwick - Taking a Tech Detox: Nat’l Day of Unplugging
- National Beer Wholesalers Association – NBWA 75th Annual Convention Promotion
- Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide and Blue Cross Blue Shield – Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employee Program Access Anytime, Anywhere
- 4GreenPs - Tuning in to Childhood Hunger Share Our Strength’s Dine Out for No Kid Hungry Lunch Drop Program
- #GivingTuesday Communication Team – Let’s Get Out the Give this Holiday Season with #Giving Tuesday
- Rasky Baerlein Strategic Communications: A Place at the Table Campaign for The Greater Boston Food Bank
- Weber Shandwick - Shedding Light on Child Sexual Abuse
- American Society of Anesthesiologists - The ANESTHESIOLOGY 2012 Annual Meeting Press Kit
- Impact Public Affairs - 4,500 km of Shoestring: Raising Awareness for Victims of Crime in Canada
- National Beer Wholesalers Association- 2012 Craft Beer Distributor of the Year
- Singer Associates Public Affairs/Public Relations - The $70 Million Press Conference
- America's Wetland Foundation - Blue Ribbon Resilient Communities: Envisioning the Future of America's Energy Coast
- Brunet-García Advertising & P.R. - ONE by ONE campaign
- International Council of Shopping Centers with Finn Partners - Campaign for 21st Century Retail
- The Johnson Foundation at Wingspread and Outreach Strategies - Financing Sustainable Water Infrastructure
National Adoption Day Coalition and Paul Werth Associates - 2012 One Day PSA Featuring Adoptive Families
- Kaiser Permanente - Walk-And-Talk with Every Body Walk!
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners - Insure U: Get Smart About Insurance: TV Public Service Announcement
- Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide - Obesity Happens One Pound at a Time
- American Society of Landscape Architects - ASLA Social Media Campaign
- Ogilvy Public Relations - The Society of American Florists: Making Flowers Mean Something More Through Social Media
- United Nations Foundation – Shot@Life’s Blogust Campaign: A Blog Relay for Good
- Brunet-García Advertising & P.R. – Give or It Goes Campaign
- Carmelita Group – The #IAM Campaign
- Henson Consulting - Giuliana Rancic and Bright Pink Host "Fab-Fest 2012"
- ASCD - @ASCD
- LRF Ed Forum Twitter Chat
Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide - Million Hearts: TEAMing UP to bring high blood PRESSURE DOWN Ogilvy Public Relations on behalf of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Counterpart International - Crafting a Better Future for Guatemalans
- Dixon Schwabl – Eye on Future Radio Show
- CropLife America - CropLife America Website Refresh: www.croplifeamerica.org
- FreeEnterprise.com Your Home for Free Market News and Ideas, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- NACHA - The Electronic Payments Association - ElectronicPayments.org
- PBS - "Trusted, Valued and Essential"
- Clapp Communications/Volunteers of America Chesapeake
- Leon Rubin, Office Depot Foundation/JKG Group