Founded in 1990, Carmichael Lynch Spong is now ranked among the 15 largest PR agencies in the world, but it still bills itself as the “alternative to big, bland firms doing ordinary, off-the-shelf work.”
The agency’s approach to hiring, which is to “attract like-minded achievement addicts,” gives it the edge it needs to differentiate its client offerings. Plus, once candidates become part of the family, they receive professional development programs to further elevate their skill sets. One of the programs, HeadRush, is “a mind-altering channel for professional development” that provides each employee with $2,500 annually for professional dues, memberships, conferences and continuing education. Specific agency-led initiatives include:
• Brain Candy: A program to help new employees understand the agency’s people, processes and culture.
• Supervisor Survival: A quarterly training program for supervisors that includes coaching and performance appraisals.
• Boot Camp: A four-week training program for junior- and mid-level staff to teach them business development skills.
The firm also has a “deep-rooted and vibrant culture,” illustrated by “Spongsters” participation in activities like:
• A “Gobble Off” contest around Thanksgiving;
• A “Roofgating” celebration during the summer; and,
• “Morning Jolt,” a weekly activity to spark creativity.
Ultimately, the agency can be summed up by one Spongster’s statement: “Carmichael Lynch Spong prides itself on delivering not only great service to its clients, but exceptional recruiting and internal communications programs that keep its achievement addict employees engaged and challenged.” PRN