Everyone wants in on digital communications, but it's often a big undertaking. Due to the increased complexity in required tools, technologies, and processes, communicators and agencies are struggling to successfully engage consumers in digital channels, says a new study by digitalArbor. As a result, there is strong shift to outsourcing in digital production. Specific findings include:
• 79% of survey respondents admitted to outsourcing digital projects in 2010; 75% plan to outsource in 2011.
• This majority included a 5% increase in outsourcing by external agencies.
• 77% plan to outsource domestically.
• 23% plan to use resources outside of the U.S. in 2011.
• The most commonly outsourced projects: Web site development, at 77%; display ad and rich media development, at 63%; and e-mail marketing, at 44%.