There are many things to consider for integrating blogs and other social networks into an IR program—such as disclosure and adhering to legal compliance, according to Claire Koeneman, global leader of the corporate communications practice at MWW Group and president of the Financial Relations Board.
This is quite a dilemma, as the adoption of social media has exploded and continues to be a medium of choice for millions of individuals hungry for instant information. Here is some advice from Koeneman on how to handle social media, particularly within a public company:
• Use social media as a complement to what is already being done in IR not as a replacement
• Adopt social media networks and channels used by key stakeholders
• Monitor social media—shares can be impacted by third-party posts and rumors
• Pay attention to feedback received
• Make sure your IR Web site is up to date and reflects industry best practices
• Institute a social media policy