This is quite a dilemma, as the adoption of social media has exploded and continues to be a medium of choice for millions of individuals hungry for instant information. Here is some advice from Koeneman on how to handle social media, particularly within a public company:
• Use social media as a complement to what is already being done in IR not as a replacement
• Adopt social media networks and channels used by key stakeholders
• Monitor social media—shares can be impacted by third-party posts and rumors
• Pay attention to feedback received
• Make sure your IR Web site is up to date and reflects industry best practices
• Institute a social media policy
Read the full story PR News.