While some PR pros may think customer service is out of their realm, the power of the Internet gives communicators a big opportunity to create direct dialogue with customers, says Leslie Wolff, CEO of Smart Marketing Group. “The opportunity for positive positioning is strong if you use your customer service segment as a way to create conversation,” says Wolff. Here are some key tips from Wolff for developing that opportunity, making customer service a powerful tool in the PR arsenal:
1. Encourage and educate customer service personnel about the importance of their role in building the success of their company and their careers. Establish an award/reward environment and publicize it internally.
2. Establish a two-way communication system with employees, customers and vendors that invites ideas for improvement. Eliminate any “kill the messenger” attitude.
3. Integrate social media networks into the mix, which can spread the word of your customer service.
4. Create a Customer’s Council that encourages input on how you can provide a continuing level of exceptional customer service.
5. Publicize in every way possible what you are doing to improve customer service.