â–¶ Internet Improves Small Business: Small and midsize business (SMB) owners are utilizing the Internet to expand their companies, says a new study conducted by the American City Business Journals. Five distinct segments of users were identified. They include:
• Interactors account for 15% of the survey population and 24% of sales, and use the Internet for researching and purchasing products and investigating competitors.
• Investors represent 22% of SMB owners and 23% of sales, and are moderate Web users that manage their investment accounts online.
• Accounting for 25% of SMB owners and 29% of sales, transactors are the largest Internet segment, selling 50% of their products and services, and run established firms.
• Commentators, 17% of the survey population and 14% of sales, represent a high percentage of women- and minority-owned companies than any other segment.
• Viewers average 21 employees, work the fewest hours, and characterize 21% of the survey population and 10% of sales.
Source: American City Business Journals