Media relations specialists have fewer newspapers to target, as approximately 293 papers folded in 2009, with nearly 100 of them closing up shop in the first quarter alone, says the “2010 State of the Media” report from Vocus, which analyzes the changing media landscape. Other findings:
• Eight magazines with a circulation of 1 million readers or more ceased publication last year;
• 600 staff members were laid off from top-tier publications in 2009;
• 1,126 magazines, including print and online, were shuttered in 2009;
• More than 10,000 jobs were lost in the broadcast sector last year; and,
• In television, bankruptcies were common as more than 100 TV stations were affected by their parent companies filing Chapter 11.