10 Reasons Why Letterman Will Survive His Crisis
10.) Dave owned the story. He controlled the message and did so on his turf—behind the desk.
9.) He avoided death by a thousand cuts by being transparent and first.
8.) He said “I’m sorry” and seemed to mean it, especially when apologizing to his wife.
7.) Laugh and the world laughs with you— after making fun of Bill Clinton and Mark Sanford, Dave made himself the butt of the joke.
6.) He successfully walked the line between humor and humility.
5.) It helps to have loyal fans. His fans like him. They really, really like him.
4.) So far, the court of public opinion has ruled in Dave’s favor.
3.) He called himself “creepy” before anyone else did.
2.) Blackmail may trump sexual indiscretions.
1.) He’ll leave the sex jokes to Jimmy Kimmel.
You might also be interested in:
- PR Expert Discusses the Highs and Lows of Sole Proprietorship
- An Appreciation: Jack Felton
- Writing Bootcamp: Storytelling and Editing are the Pillars of Successful PR Communications
- For American Airlines' Social Media Analyst, Crisis Management & Social Strategy Should Be a Work in Progress
- Daily War Room Worked for Obama—and Will Work for Your PR Campaigns