10 Reasons Why Letterman Will Survive His Crisis
10.) Dave owned the story. He controlled the message and did so on his turf—behind the desk.
9.) He avoided death by a thousand cuts by being transparent and first.
8.) He said “I’m sorry” and seemed to mean it, especially when apologizing to his wife.
7.) Laugh and the world laughs with you— after making fun of Bill Clinton and Mark Sanford, Dave made himself the butt of the joke.
6.) He successfully walked the line between humor and humility.
5.) It helps to have loyal fans. His fans like him. They really, really like him.
4.) So far, the court of public opinion has ruled in Dave’s favor.
3.) He called himself “creepy” before anyone else did.
2.) Blackmail may trump sexual indiscretions.
1.) He’ll leave the sex jokes to Jimmy Kimmel.
You might also be interested in:
- PR Insider: Corporate Communications in a Collaborative Economy
- PR Insider: It’s Time for PR People to Think Like Start-Up People
- PR Insider: The Lost Art of Reputation Management
- PR Insider: Empowering Your Client in Three Simple Steps
- PR Insider: Leverage Digital Programs to Boost Your Company's PR Success