Although the skill of planning for and handling a crisis rests on a lot more than fancy footwork, when the press comes a-callin', Kamer-Singer & Associates Inc., San Francisco, holds that crisis management relies on these key philosophies:
- Developing a plan on a company-wide, facility, regional or international basis;
- Scripting and Conducting Crisis Drills, including full-deployment simulations or smaller tabletop exercises;
- Managing Crises, ranging from spills and leaks to work stoppages and product recalls;
- Directing Community Relations Programs to secure target audience support or to diminish opposition;
- Managing the News Media by drawing on the skills of former journalists; and
- Conducting Executive and Management Skills Training by focusing on media skills, the Incident Command System, community meetings and communicating risk.