There’s a reason the finest painters use primer. And there’s a reason why the smartest hiring managers and aspiring PR pros invest time in primer courses. If you don’t know the basics, chances are you’ll stumble on the advanced stuff.
If you are beginning in PR or are looking to quickly expand your skills for your burgeoning PR career, then you won’t want to miss PR News’ One-Day Boot Camp for Emerging PR Stars on March 18 at the Westin Diplomat Resort in Miami, Fla. PR News has developed this one-day intensive workshop to provide emerging PR stars with the critical tools, strategies and insights needed to take their careers to the next level in today’s communications environment. From the most trusted brand in the industry, PR News, this daylong program is customized for future leaders in Public Relations. This program is also for PR professionals who have left and returned to the industry with a desire to learn the latest trends in the most fundamental areas of public relations.
Over the course of a single day, PR practitioners will be trained in an array of key PR skills that can be put to use right now and in the years ahead – from strategic planning to social media to writing more compelling PR content across multiple platforms. The attendees of this boot camp will walk away with a clear picture of PR and the tools and tactics to have a positive effect on organizational strategy.
This is a focused training: it starts at 9 a.m. and ends at 5 p.m. and includes a working lunch and meaningful interaction with trainers and peers. Participants are expected to be available for the entire day without interruption or leaving early. Those who complete the course will receive a PR News workshop certificate and a letter from the publishers of PR News confirming participation and completion of this course.
"I learned more in one day than I've learned all year!"
--Director, New Media, American Heart Association
"This was a great event. Not only were the speakers knowledgeable and engaging, but the attendees were awesome. And networking was great!"
--Communications Manager, CIGNA
Don't miss this keynote speaker!
Director, Public Relations, Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Christine de la Huerta
Florida International University
Vice President of News for WTVJ-Miami
South Florida Business Journal
Chief Global Digital Strategist
Executive Vice President
SVP, Communications and Talent Strategy
Social Media Marketing
Bank of America Corp.
Director of the Public Relations Program
School of Communication
Miami Herald Media Company
Vice President, Communications
8:15 - 9:00 a.m. Registration and Networking Breakfast
9:05 - 10:30 a.m. Media Relations: Day-to-Day Tactics for Successfully Working with Reporters, Editors and Bloggers
You'll get both the PR professional's and the journalists' perspectives on media relations best practices. Telemundo's Alfredo Richard, along with a panel of journalists, will provide real-world examples and case studies of pitches and relationship-building tactics that result in positive and fair media coverage of your brand.
- Key media relations principles, no matter who you are pitching (e.g., researching your targets, crafting the right pitch, developing relationships, becoming a trusted source)
- How to develop valuable long-term relationships with journalists
- How to think like a journalist to anticipate their needs
- What you need to know about pitching to bloggers
- How to get noticed by journalists you don’t already know
- Interactive exercise: You’ll work in groups to craft a pitch which you’ll then present to session trainers
10:30 - 10:45 a.m. Networking Break
10:45 - 11:45 a.m. -Measurement and Metrics: The Keys to Managing PR Success
To prove the value of your PR successes you must deliver metrics that speak to your organization’s bottom line. This session will give you a grounding in practical, day-to-day approaches to metrics that you’ll be able to build upon as you make data a part of all your PR programs.
- How to set measurable PR objectives that are aligned with corporate objectives
- How to report data to senior leaders
- How to choose key performance indicators for your specific PR programs
- What you should look for in social media dashboards and measurement tools to be sure you have the information you need
- Interactive exercise: Work with your fellow Boot Camp attendees to create a sample measurable objective, define measures of success and KPIs and choose monitoring/listening tools
11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Networking Break
12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m. Luncheon & Keynote Presentation: How to Navigate Your Jet-Propelled, High-Flying PR Career
12:30 - 1:30 p.m. - Crisis Management Workshop
Work in small groups with your fellow Boot Camp attendees as you immerse yourself in a mock crisis that threatens the reputation of an organization. Dallas Lawrence of Burson-Marsteller will define the crisis and begin his stopwatch—then it will be your team's job to create a strategy that will measure the impact of the developing crisis in real time and point the way toward an appropriate response. Team leaders will share their strategies with all attendees, and our workshop leader will analyze the results to create a set of best practices.
- How to prevent or deter issues from escalating into a crisis
- Cutting down cycle time: how to stay in touch with your online audience even as senior leaders scrutinize every message
- How to identify a crisis, how to evaluate emerging situations and what to do in the first 24 hours
- How to engage company employees as well as friends, fans and followers in the crisis communication effort
- Interactive exercise: Working tables will be handed a major PR crisis and will have to work quickly as a group to brainstorm solutions that they will then present to Boot Camp attendees
1:30 - 2:45 p.m. - Becoming a Much Better PR Writer
If you're a PR pro then you probably pride yourself on being a good writer. But being a good writer is not the same thing as being a great PR writer who knows how to edge out the competition and connect with journalists, bloggers and consumers across all channels, including social media. In this session you’ll learn:
- How to train your eyes and ears to “think like a journalist” and discover stories within your organization or client
- Storytelling essentials: how to include dramatic elements in your PR writing
- How to write for social media and the Web
- Know your audience: organizing and writing your copy to inform and persuade, whether you are writing a white paper, press release or blog post
- Revising, reviewing and editing: how to make sure your copy is as good as it can be
- How young PR pros can build better writing habits into their jobs and careers immediately
- Interactive exercise: You’ll work in groups to revise PR copy and present your completed work to Boot Camp attendees
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Network Break
3:00 - 3:30 p.m. - SEO Primer
This primer in search engine optimization will provide essential tactics that will enable you to find and use the keywords and phrases used to search for news and information about your brand and industry on the Web.
- How to research target keywords and implement them to gain better visibility and increase brand exposure on search engines
- How to blend persuasive writing with the right keywords to make your content visible in Web searches
- How to apply SEO tactics to your social media content
3:30 - 4:30 p.m. - Social Media: How to Build Brands, Find Followers and Attract Fans
Brands both big and small are expanding their audiences daily on social networks. You’ll learn the do’s and don’ts for communicating with and building your audiences across Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and more.
- Best practices for listening and engagement and case studies: brand success on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest and more
- How to integrate social media and traditional PR
- Specific strategies for posting content on social media channels
- Which tools are right for you? Recommendations on which dashboards and measurement tools will help you succeed
- How brands of all sizes are combining content marketing with social media tactics to reach new audiences
4:30 - 5:00 p.m. - Closing Remarks, Key Takeaways and Networking Reception
After an information-packed day, we present the key takeaways and ask you to share your own essential takeaways that you'll be applying the very next day when you're back in the office.
Certificates will be presented to attendees.
Sign Up Today!
Get 32 points (4 PR News digital/social media conferences) and you'll become a
PR News Digital PR Master!About the PR News Certificate in Social Media: The Certificate in Social Media is a new program offered by PR News in response to a growing need by PR professionals like you to prove your worth and knowledge within your organization, among your peers and to your business partners. Being a digital leader today means constantly staying ahead of the curve and gaining the requisite knowledge and tools to execute smart and effective digital communications initiatives. By attending PR News' Digital PR/Social Media Conferences, you can do both.
Each PR News Digital PR/Social Media conference you attend will come with points toward your Certificate in Digital PR. Once you attend 4 PR News conferences within a 24-month period, you will earn your Certificate and become a PR News Digital PR Master. This elite group of PR Professionals, PR News Digital PR Masters, will receive industry recognition as being one of the top Digital PR Pros. PR News will honor an annual class of Digital PR Masters at one of its signature events. As a PR News Digital Master, you will also receive exclusive benefits, such as discounted rates on all PR News products and events.There is no additional fee to earn points or to receive your Certificate. It is the goal of PR News to provide this one-of-a-kind opportunity to our PR community while raising the bar on digital communications excellence and showcasing top talent in this key area of PR.PR News holds a minimum of 3 conferences each year focused on Digital PR and Social Media. Simply attending these conferences (and learning while you’re there!), you will receive 8 Points toward your Certificate in Social Media.Each registration comes with the materials provided by the speakers and a personalized certificate of completion for attending the PR News Social Media Measurement Conference. [Back to the Top]
- This was a great event. Not only were the speakers knowledgeable and engaging, but the attendees were awesome. And networking was great! --Communications Manager, CIGNA
- My favorite speakers were Eliason, McCormick, Miller, Perkett and Roth. Great content; great presenters. – Media Relations Manager, ACT
- I thought it was incredibly relevant to the audience. I walked away with several key ideas that I can’t wait to implement on my clients behalf. – Chief Public Affairs Officer, Clemson University
- Great topics. Good variety. - President, Andrea Obston Marketing Communications
- It was a fantastically event, and many of the strategies delivered today will inform our company’s social media policies moving forward. – Online News Producer, Education Week
- Very good, well organized. – Director eRecruitment & Social Media, Sun Life Financial
- Great conference, speakers and venue!! Loved the clean, candid approach of all speakers towards the challenging environment of social media. -External Relations, US Operations and Marketing North America, Procter & Gamble
- I thought it was a wonderful event and I learned a great deal. It was an incredibly valuable seminar.
-VP of Marketing, Retirement Living TV
- I was also so impressed with the overall event. The quality of the presentations was top-notch, and the ability to network with like-minded people during the breaks and at lunch was invaluable. -Director, Global Media Relations, SAP AG
- This was one of the best conferences I've ever attended. - Social Media Manager, Nautica
- I learned more in one day than I've learned all year! -Director, New Media, American Heart Association
- Fantastic keynote. The energy was perfect for a mid-day pick-me-up. Loved that PR is so well represented - rarely the case at other social media conferences. -Executive Director, PR & Communications, Jackson Spalding
- Great information and speakers. -E-Marketing Specialist, Ruud Lighting, Inc.
- Extremely helpful program and I learned a lot. -CEO, Alongi Media Solutions
- Wonderful and insightful event in which I would like to have my entire team participate, including some clients. -Account Executive, Digital Brand Architects
- Great event! I'm taking away valuable information and am excited to put the new knowledge to use! Well executed. Thanks! -Communications and Organizational Effectiveness Analyst, Hostess Brands, Inc.
- Fantastic and inspiring! -Program Marketing Manager, Pacific Gas & Electric Company
- Very helpful ideas that I will be able to use right away. Thanks! -Staff Services Manager, CalPERS
- Great speakers. -General Manager, KXLY Radio Group
Each registration comes with the materials provided by the speakers and a personalized certificate of completion for attending the PR Media Relations Conference. [Back to the Top]
- Samples of Social Media Guidelines
- 10 ‘Who’ Questions to Ask in Social Media Crisis Planning
- Tip Sheet: An 8-Step Process to Proving ROI for Your Social Program
- Certificate of Attendance
- Workbook & Attendee-Only Access to Speaker Presentations
- Building your brand, finding followers and attracting fans on social media
- Identifying, managing and resolving a crisis as well as what to do in the first 24 hours
- Building relationships with reporters, editors and bloggers
- Revising, reviewing and editing: How to make sure your copy is as good as it can be
- PR writing for print and the Web
- Managing PR success through measurement and metrics
- Training your eyes and ears to “think like a journalist” and discover stories within your organization or client
- Setting measurable PR objectives that are aligned with corporate objectives
- Identifying the social media dashboards and measurement tools to effectively measure your communications campaigns
The Westin Diplomat Resort
3555 South Ocean Drive
Hollywood, FL 33019
Hotel: Please contact the Westin Diplomat directly for this event. Book your room here.
If you'd like to register by phone or have questions regarding the program, please contact Saun Sayamongkhun at email@example.com.
- Audience Development
- Brand Marketing
- Business Development
- Community Relations
- Corporate Communications
- Crisis Management
- Digital and Social Media
- Employee Communications
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Lead Generation
- Marketing Communications
- Media Relations
- PR Budget Creation/Management
- Public Relations
- Public Affairs/Issues Management
- Research & Analysis
- SEM/SEO Management
- Social Media
- Video Production
- Web Marketing
- Word of Mouth Marketing
The PR News One-Day Boot Camp for Emerging PR Stars will help you discover and implement ideas that deliver results. It will train you to search for innovative solutions. It will provide opportunities to make valuable connections with other PR and communications professionals who have solutions you need. And, it will prepare you for the road ahead.You probably already recognize the value of attending this conference, and we’d like to offer some assistance to help you convince your supervisor and organization to approve the costs. Download the “Justification to Attend” letter—everything you need to present your business case. The template is simple to fill out and drop off with your supervisor for approval.
Download Editable Word Doc