Winner: Time Warner Cable — Bridging the digital divide in local communities: Learning Labs
By partnering with local nonprofit organizations, Time Warner Cable developed Learning Labs aimed at bridging the digital divide for communities in need across New York City. Started in 2009 as the Technology Center powered by Time Warner Cable, the company has since then rebranded the Centers to the Time Warner Cable Learning Lab and has set a goal to open 40 labs by the year 2020 with financial support that will provide low-income communities with the tools to prepare them for the future.
2014 was a period of exceptional growth and success for the Time Warner Cable Learning Labs. The company equipped and opened seven Learning Labs, with the latest being set up at the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center in lower Manhattan. Each Learning Lab comes fully equipped with state of the art computers, computer software, Time Warner Cable Business Class High-Speed Internet service, and flat-scree high definition televisions with HD cable service. Almost 10,000 community members in 2014 have benefited from the Time Warner Cable Learning Labs utilizing the computers for such things as workforce development, specialized computer software workshops and homework help.
- Diageo North America - Learning Skills for Life
- JetBlue Airways - Restoring Play for Kids in Underserved areas - a partnership with KaBOOM!
- Nerium International - Individually Taking Responsibility, Collectively Changing the World
- REVOLT TV + Boys & Girls Club - #HelloHarlemNYC Youth Initiative
- SAIC - Corporate Citizenship